- How do we get started? Should our information exchange be done via email, website, or phone? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What size pies do you have? Our standard size pie is 9”. Our Mini Pies are 4" and are made to order in quantities of 24and are great for individual servings.
- Do you have recommendations for how many pies we might need? Yes. We recommend a 6 or 8 slice cut for each 9" pie. Sweeter, richer pies (pecan, chess) can be sliced in 8 pieces. If pie is the only dessert, we suggest 6 slices per pie. If there are other finger foods, an 8 slice cut works just fine.
- Do you offer pie tastings? We do not do formal tastings. However, both of our locations (Occoquan and Leesburg) have slices available for purchase. Prices range between $3.25 and $3.75 per slice.
- Can you suggest which varieties we should choose? Certainly. We consider time of year when recommending pie flavors. Some pies are especially seasonal and always a great bet (i.e. fresh, in-season Strawberry Open-Faced Pie in May and beginning of June). The type of wedding or event sometimes dictates flavors; for instance, pecan and apple are great for a picnic-style wedding where Almond Chess with fresh whipped cream would be more appropriate for a fancy sit down occasion.
- Do you offer discounts for large orders? As a small business, family owned and run, all pies are made by hand in in small batches. Discounts start at over 175 pies of a single variety.
- How much notice do you need for an order? Turnaround can happen in as short as 2-3 days, but we prefer at least 5 days notice.
- How far do you deliver? What is the cost? We charge a flat rate of $40 to deliver within a 20 mile radius of our Leesburg store.
- Do you encourage delivery or pick up? We encourage you to pick up! Often guests are looking for a way to be helpful and picking up the pies can really fill the bill. Not only will you save $40, but you also provide an outing for your visiting guests!
- What is special about Mom’s pies? Mom’s Apple Pie is a local family run bakery based on fruits and vegetables grown on our Loudoun County Farm (15 minutes from our Leesburg Store.) We make our fresh pies from scratch using real butter and flour in the crust and our own farm grown fruits for filling when available.
- What are the do’s and don’ts or special instructions when picking up pies for weddings? What about reheating? Mom’s pies are typically baked in the morning, so we recommend a late morning/early afternoon pick up. If you need to pick up early morning, we will bake the afternoon before to avoid traveling with pies that are not completely cooled. If there are catering facilities at the wedding site, the pies can be reheated pies in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. If you would like to pick up hot pies, you can request that they be placed in boxes, but know that they must be transported with box lids lifted to release steam and keep the crust from getting soggy.
- Is a contract required when placing wedding orders? How do we pay? We are not quite that formal, so email confirmations work for us! We prefer that you send us a check ahead of time, but we can charge your credit card for the total due two days before the wedding.
- What other products do you offer for weddings? Finger foods? Our most requested finger foods for weddings are mini brownies, lemon bars and macaroons. We are happy to discuss these items with you.
- Can you slice the pies for us? We do not slice the pies ahead of time as they tend to travel better intact. If you have more people than expected, this will also give you more flexibility to accommodate extra guests when slicing. Besides, "The Slicing of the Pie" is wonderful entertainment during the reception - have the groomsmen each don a pie slicer and serve the bridesmaids first!
- Do you provide serving platters for presentation purposes, i.e. buffet style wedding? We do not provide serving platters...we suggest you work with your catering service if that is your preference.
We like to have a contact number for pre-wedding and a day-of-wedding number as well. (We have been given the wrong address for delivery, the wrong time for delivery, told they were being picked up when someone else thought they were being delivered, etc.) Things can get crazy on the big day and we want Mom’s Pies to be your Rock of Gibraltar through the storm! Because, let’s face it, even if everything else goes to heck in a hand basket, eatin’ pie with your best friends at your wedding is unforgettable and fun!